maandag 15 november 2010

Gebed beantwoord met beproeving

Prayer Answered by Crosses
By John Newton

I asked the Lord that I might grow 

In faith and love and every grace, 

Might more of his salvation know, 

And seek more earnestly his face.

‘Twas he who taught me thus to pray; 

And he, I trust, has answered prayer; 

But it has been in such a way 

As almost drove me to despair.

I hoped that, in some favoured hour, 

At once he’d answer my request, 

And by his love’s constraining power 

Subdue my sins, and give me rest.

Instead of this, he made me feel 

The hidden evils of my heart, 

And let the angry powers of hell 

Assault my soul in every part.

Yea, more, with his own hand he seemed
Intent to aggravate my woe, 

Crossed all the fair designs I schemed, 

Blasted my gourds, and laid me low.

Lord, why is this? I trembling cried; 

Wilt thou pursue this worm to death? 

This is the way, the Lord replied
I answer prayer for grace and faith.

These inward trials I now employ 

From self and pride to set thee free,
And break thy schemes of earthly joy, 

That thou may’st seek thy all in me.

De laatste strofe zegt, vrij vertaald:
Deze inwendige beproevingen breng ik nu op je weg
om je van jezelf en je trots te bevrijden,
en je plannen naar aardse blijdschap te breken,
opdat je jouw alles in Mij zou zoeken.

Door John Newton (ook de auteur van 'Amazing Grace') en gelezen bij Desiring God.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten